The Australian Girls Choir has toured on thirty-four occasions since 1989 to destinations all over Australia and to every corner of the globe. Over one hundred choristers took part in the AGC’s National and International Tours in 2014; broadening their musical and cultural horizons and forging life-long friendships.
We are immensely proud of the reputation that our touring choristers have achieved, and after all these years of meeting and performing with choirs from around the globe we are sure that our approach to touring is unique. Host groups are amazed that we bring girls together from across five cities, who after three days of rehearsal together, can present a show that is of a professional standard. Beyond this, people we encounter cannot believe how much we fit in to each day as a “family” of 62 nor can they imagine how we maintain the discipline, energy and endless positivity. Experience goes a long way but we couldn’t do what we do without taking a carefully selected group of talented and committed girls. Parents reliably tell us that their daughters return from tour changed for the better and remark about improved self management, increased confidence and a better understanding of the world outside their own community.
TOURING WITH THE AGC IN 2015
18th National Tour
Destinations will include Victor Harbor, Murray Bridge, Jamestown and the Barossa Valley
June 25 – July 8, 2015
(2 week tour)
18th International Tour
Destinations will include Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC and New York
September 19 – October 10, 2015
(3 week tour)
We had wonderful response to our invitation to tour this year and were delighted by the quality of the auditionees. 56 choristers will participate in our 18th National Tour in July to South Australia visiting Victor Harbor, Murray Bridge, Jamestown and the Barossa Valley over a two week period. In September and October another 55 choristers will travel to the USA including Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC and New York for three weeks. The girls will be performing with host choirs and schools and sightseeing along the way. We will keep you updated with information about our travel adventures in future newsletters.
TOURING WITH THE AGC IN 2014
17th National Tour
Our 56 touring choristers from Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney returned in June from the choir’s 17th National Tour to Tasmania and the Australian Capital Territory. The girls took part in 11 performances and five workshops throughout the two week period. There were many tour highlights which included:
- Workshops and performances with South Hobart PS, The Friends School, Scotch Oakburn College, the Canberra Children's Choir and the Young Music Society.
- Performances at Port Arthur, Goodwin Ainslie, the Australian War Memorial and Parliament House.
- Sightseeing and tours at Salamanca Bay, the Cadbury Chocolate Factory, Cradle Mountain, Sydney Harbour, Port Arthur, the Australian War Memorial and Parliament House.
- Features in The Mercury and Launceston Examiner newspapers, an appearance on Win Television Hobart and interviews on Edge Radio, WAY FM, ABC Northern Tasmania and ABC Canberra.
We received some wonderful comments from our host groups and audience members during the tour:
“A note of sincere thanks for the uplifting and entertaining workshop that you provided for the Canberra Children's Choir and the children of Canberra on Sunday. We all very much appreciated your time, care and inspiring choral musicianship. Your choir sang magnificently in concert and was an inspiration to us all.”
Greta Claringbould – Conductor, Canberra Children's Choir
“When we see such beauty and enthusiasm in our young women we are proud to be Australian and know that your gifts will bring such joy to our families and friends. Thank you for sharing your gift of music with us.”
Joyann Lofties – Resident, Goowdwin Ainslie
“Congratulations on a wonderful tour. I loved billeting my four girls and they were a delight to know. They were full of fun and joy and
seemed to enjoy everything and every new experience. Great examples of how young girls are making a life full of music.”
Margaret Findlater Smith – Host, National Council of Women of Australia
The girls used this tour as an opportunity to develop many new friendships with choristers from all five states, as well as their host families from the schools and choirs we had the pleasure of staying with. Congratulations to all of our touring choristers on being such wonderful ambassadors for the choir; we are very proud of you!
17th International Tour
56 members of Performing Choir and Camerata have arrived home on Aussie soil after taking part in the choir’s 17th International Tour which travelled to France, Spain and Singapore over a three week period.
During the 23 day tour, the girls were hosted with international schools and were involved in 26 performances and workshops. Travelling to destinations including Paris, Angouleme, Carcassonne, Barcelona and Singapore, the cultural and performance experiences were many and varied and included:
- A performance on board HMAS Tobruk
- Public performances at major attractions including Disneyland Paris, the Abbey of St Amant de Boixe and Singapore Zoo
- A masterclass and public performance at the Institute of Arts in Barcelona
- Combined concerts and workshops with host schools and choirs including (the?) British School of Paris, Amazing Grace Children’s Choir, College Eugene Delacroix, British School of Barcelona, St Joseph’s Institution International School and the Australian International School of Singapore
- Visiting famous landmarks including (the?) Eiffel Tower, the Arc de Triomphe and Sacré Coeur in Paris; the medieval city of Carcassonne, La Sagrada Familia and Pla de la Seu in Barcelona; and Singapore Zoo, Chinatown, Gardens by the Bay and Orchard Road in Singapore
We have received many positive comments from host families, host schools, audience members and the general public which have reflected what outstanding ambassadors our touring choristers were, not only for the Choir, but our country. Congratulations to all girls involved, we are very proud of your achievements!