The Australian Girls Choir has toured on thirty-four occasions since 1989 to destinations all over Australia and to every corner of the globe. Over one hundred choristers took part in the AGC’s National and International Tours in 2015; broadening their musical and cultural horizons and forging life-long friendships.
We are immensely proud of the reputation that our touring choristers have achieved, and after all these years of meeting and performing with choirs from around the globe we are sure that our approach to touring is unique. Host groups are amazed that we bring girls together from across five cities, who after three days of rehearsal together, can present a show that is of a professional standard. Beyond this, people we encounter cannot believe how much we fit in to each day as a “family” of 62 nor can they imagine how we maintain the discipline, energy and endless positivity. Experience goes a long way but we couldn’t do what we do without taking a carefully selected group of talented and committed girls. Parents reliably tell us that their daughters return from tour changed for the better and remark about improved self management, increased confidence and a better understanding of the world outside their own community.
TOURING WITH THE AGC IN 2016
Since our first tour in 1989, more than 1500 girls have toured nationally or internationally with the Australian Girls Choir and for most it was a highlight of their time with us and a highlight of their schooling years. For the past ten years we have undertaken one national tour and one international tour each year and we’ve decided it’s time for a change. The last time we toured to New Zealand was in 2002 and we have been meaning to return because we had such a wonderful time with our nearest international neighbours. We are pleased to be offering two touring opportunities in 2016:
New Zealand Tour
Destinations will include Auckland, Hamilton, Rotorua and Wellington
June 24 – July 8, 2016
(2 week tour)
Italy, France and England
Destinations will include London, Paris, Rome, Venice and regional towns in France and Italy
September 16 – October 8, 2016
(3 week tour)
Members of Performing Choir (except from WA) are eligible to tour without audition. All Concert Level, Camerata and WA Performing choristers interested in auditioning must register for auditions held on Saturday February 20. Should you wish your daughter to tour with the AGC this year, please email our Head Office by Wednesday February 17 with your daughter’s name, state, 2016 level and if you would like her to be considered for either the 2016 New Zealand Tour, Europe Tour or both. Please contact the office if you have any questions about our touring program.
TOURING WITH THE AGC IN 2015
18th National Tour - South Australia
Our 56 touring choristers from Adelaide, Brisbane, Melbourne, Perth and Sydney have recently returned from the choir’s 18th National Tour to South Australia. The girls took part in twelve performances and eight workshops throughout the two week period. There were many tour highlights which included:
- Workshops and performances with Murray Bridge High School, Tailem Bend Primary School and Clare Primary School
- Performances at the State Library of South Australia, Monarto Zoo, community concerts at the Clare, Peterborough and Goolwa Town Halls, and a Girls from Oz fundraising ‘High Tea’ at the Hewett Centre
- Sightseeing and tours at Victor Harbor and Granite Island, Monarto Zoo, the city of Adelaide, Peterborough attraction 'Steamtown', Barossa Bowland and Melba’s Chocolate Factory
- Features in The Murray Valley Standard, The Times, Flinders, Northern Argus, Northern Messenger and the Barossa Leader newspapers, and an interview on Fleurieu FM in Victor Harbor
We received some wonderful comments from our host groups and audience members during the tour:
'Your talent, dedication and passion for song and dance is self-evident. Keep up the great work and live your dreams!'
The Right Honourable The Lord Mayor of Adelaide Martin Haese
'It has been an honour and a privilege to host such a wonderful group of people. Hearing you sing 'I Am Australian' really is an emotional journey for me. Thank you so much.'
Helen Peake, Murray Bridge High School host organiser
'An impressive show of talented, enthusiastic singers... A fantastic treat for everyone'
Mr Alan Smith, Director of The State Library of South Australia
'Thank you for your amazing performance at Monarto Zoo. The visitors absolutely loved your performance and Galatea's special Happy Birthday song too!'
Leonie Rowe, Visitor Experience Coordinator, Monarto Zoo
The girls used this tour as an opportunity to develop many new friendships with choristers from all five states, as well as their host families from the schools and choirs we had the pleasure of staying with. Congratulations to all of our touring choristers on being such wonderful ambassadors for the choir; we are very proud of you!
18th International Tour - USA
55 members of Camerata and Performing Choir have arrived home on Aussie soil after taking part in the choir’s 18th International Tour, which travelled to the USA over a three week period.
During the 22 day tour, the girls were hosted with choirs and schools and were involved in 23 performances and workshops. Travelling to destinations including Los Angeles, Chicago, Washington DC and New York City, the cultural and performance experiences were many and varied and included:
- Performances at Daley Plaza in Chicago and St Paul’s Chapel in New York, which were attended by Australian Consul-Generals, Mr Michael Wood (Chicago) and Mr Nick Minchin (New York)
- Public performances at major sites including Disneyland Los Angeles, St Paul’s Church and the 9/11 Memorial
- A Broadway song and dance workshop with current Broadway performers in New York
- Combined concerts and workshops with host schools and choirs including the Los Robles Children’s Choir, Oaks School, Laurence School, Anima Youth Singers of Greater Chicago, Leyden High School, Duke Ellington School of the Arts, Sophisticated Ladies Ensemble and Trevor Day School
- Visiting famous landmarks including the Hollywood Walk of Fame and Chinese Theatre in Los Angeles; Willis Tower Skydeck, Millennium Park and Cloud Gate in Chicago; the US Capitol, Lincoln Memorial, the White House and Kennedy Centre in Washington DC; and Radio City Music Hall, Times Square, Rockefeller Centre, Fifth Avenue and Central Park in New York
We have received many positive comments from host families and schools, audience members and the general public, which have reflected what outstanding ambassadors our touring choristers were, not only for the choir, but our country. Congratulations to all girls involved, we are very proud of your achievements!